Sunday 3 January 2016

Happy New Year from Kyoto

Happy New Year, my great Kyoto Sensational Blog followers!

I wish you all the best in 2016 and hope you can achieve your goals and absolutely hope to see you here in Kyoto.

Unlikely to Christmas, New Year is the biggest family occasion for Japanese people. Authentic Japanese New Year Meals are served at family occasions.

Having been stuck into the work, I was unable to go around to see what happened on New Year's Eve in Kyoto. I am sad not to see around on my first Kyoto's NYE and sorry for not being able to report this time.

As I have lived in New Zealand for four years, I understand fireworks are displayed at night on New Year's Eve. But it is unlikely to happen here in Japan. Japanese people go to Shrines to listen to ringing bells for the New Year. Big queues are formed in major Shrines nationwide. After midnight when the new year arrives, people can go inside the Shrine to pray for their New Year wishes. Coins and notes are thrown into wooden boxes and then people bow and put both bands together to ask their wishes to become reality. Also people can write their wishes in wooden boards called Ema and hang in the line.

Hatsumode, the New Year Shrine visit can be done by 7th January. I am not usually a Shrine goer, but on Sunday visited some Shrines to see what was going on.

Early in the morning, I rode a bike to Heian Shrine located in Higashiyama, Eastern suburb. But it was quiet, so left once for coffee and went back again over 10.00 am. As normally the Shrine attracts Western tourists, I was surprised to see only Japanese people there. It may not be known well amongst Western tourists?



The Main Gate at Heian Shrine on 3rd January


While walking around the Shrine, I found some food stalls. Some stands do not show their food prices that made me sad and doubt they are not good. Also monthly flee market was held nearby. A French bakery stall got my attention. They sold muffins. As a person having lived in New Zealand, I love muffin so indeed bought the cranberry one even if the price is a bit expensive. But it was so delicious!!


Monthly Okazaki Flee Market




Delicious Cranberry Muffin (Oops! Sorry for My Hand!)


After having my favourite breakfast food, I was on the road again heading south to Fushimi Inari. The shrine is very famous amongst tourists and attracts most foreign tourists in Kyoto. Also it has most visitors for the New Year Shrine visit in Kyoto.

Just off the main street, I saw a horse of people at level crossing. Security guards told us to keep right and I had to get off the bike to pull. And then unexpected situation occurred. I was told that I was unable to park a bike at a bike park. It was closed during the New Year. The security guard advised me where to park a bike, but I decided to leave there to avoid long queue again. I am sorry for not reporting what happened in this famous shrine.


Fushimi Inari Shrine: Taken in December 2015


Going back on the same street and bike way by the river bank, I was heading to another shrine called Yasaka Shrine located close in Gion District, famous for Ryotei (top-end Japanese cuisine restaurants) and Geisha.

Parked my bike at Maruyama Park adjoining the Shrine, once again I saw many food stalls that surprised me. I asked myself if situating so many food stalls is a real Hatsumode or not. Seeing around stands, I found prices were quite expensive, but much better than those around Fushimi Inari. A lady selling salutatory pancake filled with cabbage tried very hard to sell her foods. I replied her that I was thinking, and then as it looked good and healthy, so I bought it. She was the winner.


Food Stalls at Yasaka Shrine


Entering into the Shrine, I saw loads of people as I had expected. Unlikely at Heian Shrine, I saw some Western people visiting the shrine. It was good to talk to some of them indeed.


Yasaka Shrine


Following our custom, I throw a coin towards the wooden box and prayed for my wishes for the brand new year.

Going back to the park, I found a man wearing Samurai clothes playing a Japanese flute and patting his dog. It was interesting and many visitors saw him playing and took pictures.


Samurai Playing Japanese Flute


I hope you find interesting to see Japanese New Year.

See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment